Shines Mission Statement
As Christians, we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which He has prepared in advance for us to do. Veritas SHINES’ goal is to provide opportunities for Veritas students, parents, faculty, and administration to impact our community for the glory of God as we train our children to become selfless, servant leaders who are prepared, assured, and poised.
Fall Drive: ADRN Care Kits
Veritas Shines Fall Drive will be building care kits for Austin Disaster Relief Network (ADRN). ADRN’s mission is to glorify Christ by equipping, empowering, and mobilizing a network of churches to respond to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of those affected by disaster. (Luke 10:25-37, Ephesians 4:12-16).
When disaster strikes, survivors need immediate supplies to get back on their feet. The Care Kit becomes an incredibly valuable gift for any person that has lost everything. ADRN needs 5,000 care kits to send to the most impacted communities on the Texas and Louisiana coast from Hurricanes Laura and Delta.
Our goal is to build 50 kits for survivors. We will collect the kits the week of October 19-23. Completed kits can be dropped-off at the Veritas Shines tent next to Parking Lot A from 2-4pm M/W/F or at the Main Office of the Academic Building.
Click on the Sign-Up Genius Links below to participate.
Contact Shines@VeritasAcademy.net with questions.
- What is in a Care Kit? See the Care Kit Flyer.
- How can I donate just one or two items? Use this TEMPLATE to invite your friends to join your family in building one completed kit! Veritas Shines is only able to accept completed kits.
- Should my kit include everything on the ADRN Recommended Kit Contents Sheet? This list is suggested items. You may include all, some, or items not listed that you feel would be useful to the disaster victims.
- What if all my items won’t fit in the plastic storage container? ADRN has requested all the donations be packaged inside a storage container. You could buy a larger container or remove items until the container closes.
- I didn’t see any kits for teenagers. Can I make a kit for an individual teen? Absolutely! You can sign-up for the individual male or female kits and label the kit “Individual Male Teen” or “Individual Female Teen”. You could also do this for babies or kids if you wanted to make gender specific, individual boxes.
Our Veritas Academy community is full of generous, giving people who love others well and want to be a blessing. Here are some ideas ways to volunteer virtually. In addition, due to the opening-up of COVID restrictions, this list now includes several in-person service opportunities as well. If you know of a need or a way to serve, please email email@example.com, and we will add your information to this list.
May your heart and home be filled with peace!
Here are some scriptures to pray with your children: Philippians 4:4-9, Psalm 91, Psalm 23, Matthew 6:9-13, Isaiah 41:10. ADRN Hope Prayer Center has some good prayer resources as well.
Marbridge has closed it’s campus to all visitors and volunteers due to their population being highly at-risk. They are asking for volunteers and families to send the residents cards or activities. The cards/notes/letters can be inspirational, jokes, or just a picture drawn and colored by your kids. Get more information by clicking the link below. Mail completed cards to:
Operation Gratitude provides care packages for our military around the world. They created this list of ways to participate in #VirtualVolunteerism. The activities include:
1. Handmade With Love Items. There’s something about receiving a handmade item that warms the heart, especially when you’re deployed. If you’re in a group that knits, crochets or sews, we are calling on you to get out your needles and hooks and redouble your efforts during these challenging times. For teams that love to craft, consider hand-making greeting cards. Every Handmade With Love item is an expression of deep appreciation for the service and sacrifice of our recipients.
2. Make Paracord Bracelets. We include handcrafted paracord bracelets (link to instructions) in every one of our Care Packages because they’re both functional and meaningful. Members of your group can purchase the cord in bundles of 5 by visiting Operation Gratitude’s eBay site.
3. Write Letters. We hear time and again that handwritten letters are the most cherished items in our Care Packages. Sign up to participate and receive more details here.
All items created for Operation Gratitude can be shipped to:
Project Linus is an organization that provides handmade blankets to children in need through local chapters. Blankets can be crocheted, knit, quilted, or no-sew fleece. Their webpage has instructions and patterns. The blankets can be dropped-off at any JoAnn’s location during normal business hours.
ADRN has multiple avenues to volunteer during this historical hurricane season:
- Hurricane Laura opportunities
- Prayer Hotline: become a call center volunteer from home
- Monthly city-wide hour of prayer virtual assembly
The Trotter House is a community outreach assisting women and families in an unplanned pregnancy and beyond. They are hosting a bi-monthly drive-through event for their clients.
They are looking for donations through either their Amazon Baby Registry linked below or from this list:
- Blue or Silver Similac (greatest need!)
- Similac sensitive
- diapers for newborn and size three, four, five, and six
- baby wipes
If you purchase items while making your grocery run, they can be dropped-off on the front porches of any of these homes:
In Lost Creek: 2107 Ringtail Ridge
In Travis Country: 5806 Republic of Texas Blvd
This opportunity was shared with Veritas Shines by Trisha Grafton. If you have any questions, please reach out to Trisha at Trisha.Grafton@VeritasAcademy.net.
The mission of Foster Village™ is to come alongside children and families in the child welfare system and show them that they are not alone. Our goal is to create opportunities for the community to be a "village" of support to these vulnerable and underserved children and families.
They are looking for donations through either their Amazon Wish List linked below.