Shines Mission Statement
As Christians, we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which He has prepared in advance for us to do. Veritas SHINES’ goal is to provide opportunities for Veritas students, parents, faculty, and administration to impact our community for the glory of God as we train our children to become selfless, servant leaders who are prepared, assured, and poised.
Summer 2021 Volunteer Calendar
Veritas Shines has three resources for families and students to engage the Austin community this summer. The first is through Veritas planned and led service opportunities. Check-out this year’s projects HERE. The second is a list of organizations looking for in-person volunteers as listed below. Finally, at the bottom of the page are the virtual volunteering suggestions we have been promoting all year. We hope you and your family make time this summer to serve.
In-Person Volunteer Opportunities - Summer 2021
Mission Possible Austin
Camp Nikos is June 14-19th (some staff/crew arriving on the 13th) at Twin Oaks Ranch in Buda. We have volunteer and paid positions available for teens and adults. Here's a link to the available positions and all other info:
Contact Name: Jessica Post
Hays County Food Bank
If you live in the Driftwood/Buda/Kyle area, Hays County Food Bank has volunteer opportunities all over Hays County. Here is the link to get more information or to get started:
Meals on Wheels Central Texas and More-Care Calls
To protect the health of those MOW serves, they have pivoted from daily meal deliveries to deliveries of two weeks’ worth of lunches every other Friday. This reduces their clients’ odds of being exposed to the virus, but it also means they miss those eagerly anticipated daily visits from volunteers. Seeing a smiling face at the door each day helps fight feelings of isolation or depression, “viruses” that also pose a serious threat to those we serve.
Care Calls fills that void with friendly phone calls from caring volunteers and staff. Volunteers commit to call 1-2 times a week and talk with their client. If you are interested in this opportunity, please see the information on the MOW website via the button below.
Central Texas Chilldren’s Home (CTCH)
Make a difference in a child’s life this summer by volunteering at CTCH. Types of volunteer needs are:
- Teach a skill. Current residents are ages 9 (boy) and 12 (girl). Come by for an afternoon or evening and share your passion for cooking, painting, woodworking, etc.
- Help with facilities maintenance
- Volunteer in the office to assist the office staff
- Check-out other opportunities on their website
To volunteer contact Sam Martinez at 512-243-1386 or firstname.lastname@example.org
There are numerous ways to be a Foster VIllage Volunteer.
- Childcare Team-particiapte in quarterly Parent Night’s out evenings
- Hospitality-cook a meal for 10-15 people for their monthly Support Gatherings.
All volunteers must submit an application on their website. Then, you will receive monthly newsletters through which you sign-up for these and other needs.
Operation Christmas Child-Student Relations Volunteer
Operation Christmas Child is currently looking for student relations volunteers. This is a year-long commitment. You can read about this position using this link:
If you would like to learn more or get involved, contact Stephanie Jue at email@example.com.
Our Veritas Academy community is full of generous, giving people who love others well and want to be a blessing. Here are some ideas ways to volunteer virtually. In addition, due to the opening-up of COVID restrictions, this list now includes several in-person service opportunities as well. If you know of a need or a way to serve, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will add your information to this list.
May your heart and home be filled with peace!
Here are some scriptures to pray with your children: Philippians 4:4-9, Psalm 91, Psalm 23, Matthew 6:9-13, Isaiah 41:10. ADRN Hope Prayer Center has some good prayer resources as well.
Marbridge has closed it’s campus to all visitors and volunteers due to their population being highly at-risk. They are asking for volunteers and families to send the residents cards or activities. The cards/notes/letters can be inspirational, jokes, or just a picture drawn and colored by your kids. Get more information by clicking the link below. Mail completed cards to:
Operation Gratitude provides care packages for our military around the world. They created this list of ways to participate in #VirtualVolunteerism. The activities include:
1. Handmade With Love Items. There’s something about receiving a handmade item that warms the heart, especially when you’re deployed. If you’re in a group that knits, crochets or sews, we are calling on you to get out your needles and hooks and redouble your efforts during these challenging times. For teams that love to craft, consider hand-making greeting cards. Every Handmade With Love item is an expression of deep appreciation for the service and sacrifice of our recipients.
2. Make Paracord Bracelets. We include handcrafted paracord bracelets (link to instructions) in every one of our Care Packages because they’re both functional and meaningful. Members of your group can purchase the cord in bundles of 5 by visiting Operation Gratitude’s eBay site.
3. Write Letters. We hear time and again that handwritten letters are the most cherished items in our Care Packages. Sign up to participate and receive more details here.
All items created for Operation Gratitude can be shipped to:
Project Linus is an organization that provides handmade blankets to children in need through local chapters. Blankets can be crocheted, knit, quilted, or no-sew fleece. Their webpage has instructions and patterns. The blankets can be dropped-off at any JoAnn’s location during normal business hours.
ADRN has multiple avenues to volunteer during this historical hurricane season:
- Hurricane Laura opportunities
- Prayer Hotline: become a call center volunteer from home
- Monthly city-wide hour of prayer virtual assembly
The Trotter House is a community outreach assisting women and families in an unplanned pregnancy and beyond. They are hosting a bi-monthly drive-through event for their clients.
They are looking for donations through either their Amazon Baby Registry linked below or from this list:
- Blue or Silver Similac (greatest need!)
- Similac sensitive
- diapers for newborn and size three, four, five, and six
- baby wipes
If you purchase items while making your grocery run, they can be dropped-off on the front porches of any of these homes:
In Lost Creek: 2107 Ringtail Ridge
In Travis Country: 5806 Republic of Texas Blvd
This opportunity was shared with Veritas Shines by Trisha Grafton. If you have any questions, please reach out to Trisha at Trisha.Grafton@VeritasAcademy.net.
The mission of Foster Village™ is to come alongside children and families in the child welfare system and show them that they are not alone. Our goal is to create opportunities for the community to be a "village" of support to these vulnerable and underserved children and families.
They are looking for donations through either their Amazon Wish List linked below.